Tuesday 4 September 2018

Dragons of a Middlehammer age.

So, my life has taken a little bit of a left turn in the last few weeks or so, but despite the hardships, I’ve been able to paint 35 models in four days. It’s the nice thing about Bolt Action, and historical wargaming in general, is that the models don’t have a lot of additional extras sculpted on, except maybe ECW musketeers, and so you can paint them up real quick. It’s also helped the painting figures for the year.
Please, paint me....
Anyway, as I paint my Fell Beast mounted ringwraith, and yes work is proceeding on that, I’ve pulled down this chappy. It’s the old Wood Elf Lord mounted on Dragon model. It was first released in 1995/ 1996 and it was the first Games Workshop model I ever saw, back in 1996, and it was the model that drew me into the Games Workshop, and later the wider wargaming, scene. 
I finally bought a copy of the model in September 2011, and he came prebuilt, which is great, as I don’t enjoy pinning models, and has sat like that ever since. I’ve always loved the GW dragons from my youth. I already own the original Prince Imirk on Dragon, again released in the 90’s and I’ve added a few more since then. Mainly, the Plastic High Elf Dragon and the Lord of the Rings Dragon and Smaug.
Image result for Wood Elf lord on Dragon
Old school


I'm not going to paint him in the traditional colours, as seen to the left. I've started a Wood Elf force a few years ago, consisting of Archers, and Glade Riders on the advice of a friend. He could do wonders with the army. I didn't have the same ability to win as he did. 

The colour scheme I've chosen in a winter themed, and so the dragon is going to match that. Possibly a grey white body, and dark grey or pale blue scales. We'll see when we get to the painting stage, which is going to be a while as I've got to rebuild him, again.
So, why am I talking about dragons, well obviously, there cool, but thanks to the Games Workshop Made to Order range, I’ve added four more dragons to my collection. They are Zacharias the Everling, the 2001 version of Prince Imrik, the Sister of Twilight and Malekith on Dragon. 
And this has got me thinking, is it possible to get all of the GW dragons. Now I would love the original Chicken Dragon and the great spined dragon, but they go for a lot on eBay, more than I’m willing to pay for. So I’ve decided to get all of the Dragons released from, or were available when I started playing in 1996.
So the Dragons that were available, thanks to the catalogs on So Legends are.
High Elves
Prince Imrik (got)
Wood Elves Lord on Dragon (got)

Orcs and Goblins
Azhag the Slaughter

Chaos
Egrim Von Horstmann

Undead
Liche on Zombie Dragon

Dark Elves
Rakarth on Dragon

So, I’ve got two out of the 6 models available when I started playing. It’s a good start, 33% of the way there. I’m also going to add in this model, Thaindon, Elf lord of Caledor, if I can get hold of him. He was in the back pages of my 4th edition High Elf Army book, and so I feel that if I can get him, for a good price, I’ll get him. 


So, what releases since then do I need to get

Image result for Dark Elf Dragon box
One of the best models out there
High Elves
Prince Imrik (got)
High Elf Sorcerer on Dragon
Plastic Prince Imrik, though never formerly published, you can make an Imrik out of the plastic kit

Wood Elves 
Sisters of Twilight (got)

Orcs and Goblins
Orc Warlord on Wyvern (got)
Azhag the Slaughter
 Chaos
Galruuch

Undead
Zacharias the Everliving (got)
Terrorgiest
Vampire lord on Dragon 

Dark Elves
Malekith (Got)
Dark Elf Lord on Dragon
Dark Elf Sorceress on Dragon

So, this is another 13 models, of which 5 have already been purchased. 38% models I now own. So that means, I’ve got to purchase 14 more models. 

I’m also going to add in three models that they’ve made for Age of Simar. Archaon, on his demonic mount. Though, not a Dragon as such, it’s an awesome model. The Stormcast Star Drake and the Maw Crusha.

So actually 17 models. 

Oh well, off to the painting table we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment