Sunday 26 January 2020

Cannons to the left of me, cannons to the right of me.

   After last week’s success with attack columns, it’s time for another Napoleonic Training game. I was using the same force, though this week I had finished my Perry 12 Pounder, who were waiting to be based. I also had the Huassar’s again, who had underwhelmed me last week.

Terry was away, and so John and I took the field against Jim. Facing my division, was a division of four Dragoons units and a division of four line regiments and some artillery. I was a little worried about the cavalry as they could charge through and break me quite easily. 

We won the role, and went first. I was going to position my Hussars to try and stop any cavalry charges, to the horror of John. However, my dicing rolling was poor and there was going be no movement. My cannons opened fire and got a couple of hits on Jim’s front two units. I do like this ability for cannon balls to fire through units. 

In response, Jim, opened the floodgates and charged the cavalry forward.
But the dice were against him and he fell short, just in front of my cannons. As they had moved over my ark of fire, and I inflicted some more damage on them, including a disordering hit, which would soon off disappear at the end of Jim’s turn. 

In response, and being within initiative range, I charged forward. Jim counter charged, which dragged his unit forward, but annoyingly not out of support Range. I then inched the cannons forward, into short range and then moved my line regiments forward into support. 

My cannons opened and obliterated one of Jim’s cavalry regiments and inflicted damaged on the third. Combat ensured and a combination of the Hussar’s lancers rule, charging in, and Jim’s terrible dice rolling I was able to defeat him in combat, though I did become shaken in the process. Jim failed his morale check and the unit popped and was removed from the table. 

In response Jim charged his third unit forward, as I was shaken, my Hussar’s couldn’t counter charge,and as his units had to cross my cannons as they moved into combat, I could fire again. I inflicted another hit on them and they were now only one wound from being shaken, and that meant a broken division.

Despite, being at minus 1 for being shaken, I rolled five, fives and sixes, on my roll and was able to break the unit in combat. Jim didn’t disappear but was forced off, and I knew that I could turn my attention to the line regiments.



At this point, Jim changed his dice. They did a lot better from now on. However, turn 3, was here and in an two attack columns charged forward and into combat. I took three wounds from closing fire, and my unit was dangerous close to breaking, however, once again combat went my way, and I forced Jim’s unit back, shaken. I then changed formation, as Jim’s was about to charge. I changed to a line regiment, and waited. 

As expected Jim charged and I opened fire, causing two hits and one of them disordered them. Combat, again went in may favour, and I won, seeing Jim’s unit’s off. As a winner, and seeing the opportunity to shoot some enfilading fire down the flank of Jim’s unit I opted to change facing.
As you can see from the photo, the supporting line unit, still in attack columns could now charge a unit in the flank. I need two moves, but the dice failed me, I got one move. So, quick change of plan, and I opted to shoot.

My cannons took a pot shot at Jim’s opposite number, and did some damage. I then opened fire and broke at least of Jim’s line regiments, the division, and the army. 

I had a lot of fun, this week the Hussar’s performed marvellously, and so I’m quite happy with them, and am now thinking about getting some cavalry, both Dragoons and Hussars. We’ve got long term plans for Borodino, and I’m working on the 8th Infantry corps. I think the 4th Reserve corps, could be something that I get as well.

I do think that Jim was very unlucky with his dice rolls and couldn’t really get into the game, once the damage had been inflicted by the cannons.

No comments:

Post a Comment