Tuesday 14 January 2020

The Russians are coming


So new year, and we’ve already got our first big game. It’s the battle of Durnstein. It took place in November 1805 and is a battle where the French forces fought the Russians. So this gives me a chance to play the Russians in Black Powder and, despite owning it for a year, give the updated Black Powder 2 Rules a bash. 
You can find out more, at this blog, which is a fantastic read http://obscurebattles.blogspot.com/2013/04/durnstein-1805.html
In terms of painting, I’ve only had to do a few things. Firstly, I’ve had to paint of officer to lead a division/brigade/army (I can never get the titles right) and 3 12 pounder cannons. Not a heavy painting load, but I did paint a regiment prior to Christmas. 
To help us play the game as smoothly as possible, and to know how Russians play in a game of Black Powder, we are playing a few games on Wednesday night to get use to it. 
John and I each had a division with a few Line Regiments and some cannons. John also had some Cavalry, forming the third division. Facing this, was a similar number of French. I was opposite Terry, and things went very well for me. I was able to advance forward and met Terry in combat. Shooting, is not Russian strongpoint, hitting on 5. However, combat, especially with a charge, and a free re-roll on the first turn of combat is a lot more fun, and though despite one of my regiments becoming shaken, I was able to see of Terry and break his division. 
I then turned to advance towards Jim, and to help John out. However, in a rash move on the first turn, Jim moved forward three full moves and stopped in front of John’s line. Though the firefight and combat were protracted John then got the upper hand and the battle was ours.
I only took one photo, which I hope you enjoy, but the game was fun. The Russians are a bit harder to play with as they have more negatives than say the Brits, but if you get it right, it’s good fun. Looking forward to playing the next battle on Wednesday.

I'll finish with a couple of tip progress pics of some Russians I'm working on for the big game.


No comments:

Post a Comment